Certified Lean Kanban Foundation - Kanban Systems Design KMP 1
Certified Lean Kanban Foundation - Practically Implement Successful Evolutionary Change
What is this course?
Certified Lean Kanban Foundation - Kanban System Design is a highly interactive two-day Kanban agile training course accredited by the Lean-Kanban University (LKU) and provides in-depth training in Kanban practices and the principles that underpin the Kanban method, including a fully immersive Kanban simulation. The Kanban method is an evolutionary approach to change and change management by starting with what you already do; respecting current roles; responsibilities and job titles; encouraging acts of leadership at all levels, and agreeing to pursue incremental, evolutionary change that evolves business processes using a Kaizen approach that reduces the risks associated with complex change programmes. Participants will gain sufficient knowledge about the Kanban Method and related topics to:
- Understand what is Kanban
- Lead or guide a team in their adoption of Kanban - from initial visualization and the design of Kanban systems through to evolutionary change
- Answer questions and support the team in day-to-day operation
- Help teams to identify and resolve hindrances to flow
- Take measurements and create meaningful metrics that helps the team
- Evolve process and practice according to team needs, in a meaningful way
- Connect with the Kanban community for the sharing of practical experiences and the development of new ideas and techniques
What will you learn?
Based on the trainer’s practical experience, participants will learn how to:
- Identify internal and external sources of dissatisfaction
- Analyse demand vs capability
- Model the knowledge discovery process
- Design kanban systems and their visualisations
- Identify/prioritise improvements
- Choose cadences for activities
- Identify classes of service
- Create a rollout plan, negotiating strategy with stakeholders
What will you receive?
Two days of high quality instruction from Tom Reynolds who has 25 years experience in software development. For courses on our public schedule, refreshments before and during the course, including lunch
- Course materials
- Membership of the Lean-Kanban University (LKU)
- Lean-Kanban University (LKU) certificate of course completion
- 16 Scrum Education Units (SEU’s) can be claimed for this course and used as part of your Scrum Alliance Certified Scrum Professional application. See the CSP application process on The Scrum Alliance website for more details.
What topics are covered?
You can expect the following topics to be covered during the course:
- Kanban Introduction
- What is Kanban?
- Kanban with a big ‘K’ and little ‘k’
- Kanban to Manage Change:
- Principles of the Kanban Method
- Kanban Core Practices
- When is Kanban Typically Used?
- Identify Work Items:
- Demand Analysis
- Handling Large Work Items
- Kanban Cards
- Sizing Work Items
- Value Streams
- What is a Value Stream
- Mapping the Knowledge Discovery Process through Value Stream Mapping
- Kanban Boards
- The Relationship between a Kanban Board and the Value Stream
- Setting up and using a Kanban Board
- Different Options for Kanban Boards
- Queues and Buffers
- Limit Work In Progress (WIP)
- Queuing Theory – Little’s Law
- Calculating Lead Time
- Calculating Throughput
- Calculating WIP
- Calculating Release Time
- Why Limit WIP
- Techniques to Limit WIP
- Where to Apply WIP Limits
- Make Management Policies Explicit
- Definition of ‘Done’
- Classes of Service
- Cost of Delay
- Service Level Agreements
- Measuring and Managing Flow
- Cumulative Flow Diagrams in Relation to Kanban
- How to Produce a Cumulative Flow Diagram
- How to Measure Lead Time
- How to Measure WIP
- How to Measure Flow
- Optimising Flow
- How to use the Cumulative Flow Diagram to Identify Problems
- Five Focusing Steps to Remove Bottlenecks
- Interpreting a Control Chart
- Interpreting a lead time distribution chart
- Sources of Variability
- Sources of dissatisfaction
- The impact of variability
- Techniques and strategies for removing variability
- Empirical Feedback
- Improvement Kata
- Cadence and Rhythm
- Daily Standups
- Operations Review
- Apply your learning
- Team-Based Realistic Simulation of a Kanban System in Practice
- Kanban in your Organisation
- The Context for Change
- The Steps required to Build a Kanban system
- Apply a Kanban System to your Organisation
- Prepare a Roll-Out Plan for your Organisation
Who is this course suitable for?
This course is useful for anyone who wants to be successful using Kanban within their organisation, or anyone who works with teams utilising Kanban. As such, it will benefit anyone who is involved in using Kanban or considering using Kanban. It will be helpful both to those new to Kanban and those who have explored Kanban but now want to consolidate their knowledge in a practical setting. In terms of roles, the course is suitable for Product, Project and Programme Managers, Development Team Members (including but not limited to Architects, Designers, Developers, Testers), Business Analysts and Scrum Product Owners and ScrumMasters who want to enhance their Lean / Agile skillset. Attending the course as a full team offers a real opportunity for the entire team to experience and learn Kanban together and creates an excellent foundation for them to move forward.
Are there any prerequisites for this course?
There are no prerequisites for the course, however students are expected to complete the required pre-course reading.
How should you prepare for this course?
The Lean-Kanban University website provides a great deal of useful Kanban resources. Specifically, the following are recommended as introductory material for those new to Lean and Kanban: About Lean - http://www.leankanbanuniversity.com/about-kanban About Kanban - http://www.leankanbanuniversity.com/about-kanban
What about exams and certifications?
This course has been accredited by David J Anderson (creator of the Kanban method) and Lean-Kanban University (LKU). Students taking a LKU-accredited course will be eligible to become members of the Lean-Kanban University. To read about the benefits and learn more, visit the LKU website: http://leankanbanuniversity.com/. Certificates issued by the LKU for this course will show that the training was delivered by The Agile Mindset with Tom Reynolds as the trainer.
|Certified Lean Kanban Foundation – Kanban Systems Design KMP 1||London||Tuesday, 6 August 2019||2 days||£995.00 + VAT||£850.00 + VAT (Until Tuesday, 9 July 2019)||Register|
|Certified Lean Kanban Foundation – Kanban Systems Design KMP 1||London||Tuesday, 3 September 2019||2 days||£995.00 + VAT||£850.00 + VAT (Until Tuesday, 6 August 2019)||Register|
|Certified Lean Kanban Foundation – Kanban Systems Design KMP 1||London||Tuesday, 1 October 2019||2 days||£995.00 + VAT||£850.00 + VAT (Until Tuesday, 3 September 2019)||Register|
|Certified Lean Kanban Foundation – Kanban Systems Design KMP 1||London||Tuesday, 5 November 2019||2 days||£995.00 + VAT||£850.00 + VAT (Until Tuesday, 8 October 2019)||Register|
|Certified Lean Kanban Foundation – Kanban Systems Design KMP 1||London||Tuesday, 10 December 2019||2 Days||£995.00 + VAT||£850.00 + VAT (Until Tuesday, 12 November 2019)||Register|
- Certified Lean Kanban Foundation – Kanban Systems Design KMP 1Tuesday, 6 August 2019LondonRegister
- Certified Lean Kanban Foundation – Kanban Systems Design KMP 1Tuesday, 3 September 2019LondonRegister
- Certified Lean Kanban Foundation – Kanban Systems Design KMP 1Tuesday, 1 October 2019LondonRegister
- Certified Lean Kanban Foundation – Kanban Systems Design KMP 1Tuesday, 5 November 2019LondonRegister
- Certified Lean Kanban Foundation – Kanban Systems Design KMP 1Tuesday, 10 December 2019LondonRegister
What Our Delegates Say
"I have spent some years working with Kanban but this course really helped my understanding"
– Dale Matthews
"If you are looking to implement Kanban in your organisation this is the perfect course for you"
– Sangeetha Balasubramanian
"Awesome training!! A lot to take away"
- Stuti Jindal
“Engaging, informative and an excellent starter to using Kanban to help achieve better delivery “
- Adam Parsons
“Highly engaging course for a variety of skillsets “
- Dom Barnett
“Fun course, lots of games, very informative “
- Louis Salin
"Great course, loved the balance between theory and practical"
- Jeff Bannister
"Tom is a great coach who teaches agile in an engaging and interactive way. I would recommend this course to anyone, whether they have agile knowledge or not"
- Ellie McCarey
“A very energetic and enthusiastic Kanban practitioner and trainer. Uses experience to help fortify how Kanban can be used in the real world”
- Andy Wheeldon
“Tom is a very knowledgable instructor and really helps disambiguate and clarify topics. Our kanban process is about to get a lot more sophisticated and informative ”
- Bren Vaughan
“Thank you Tom, the training was very insightful and engaging. Plus your skill and experience is impressive, you brought real authenticity ”
- Mark White
“Tom is very engaging and clear, thoroughly enjoyed the training from start to finish ”
- Claire Barks
"This course is jam packed full of excellent discussions, exercises and practical examples. An excellent course"
- Jason Nickels
"This course has been a real eye opener and I'm now keen to see how many of my work processes can be managed better using the techniques I've learned"
- Tanya Phillips
"Exceptional experience and depth of knowledge. Really brought relevant examples to our situation and context"
- Hass Jishi